Outside the village
Outside the village
Scenes along the River Soar and in Garendon Park
From Leicester Chronicle March 17th 1928
Old tollgate at end of Pear tree Lane. Part of Garendon Park.
Road tolls were abolished in 1887 but this house survived until 1954 when it was demolished
Dishley Grange was once the home of Robert Bakewell. See article 'Dishley - Land of the Lost'
Dishley Mill in 1935. Watercolour by Samuel John Lamona Birch
Ruins of church at Dishley Grange - see article 'Dishley - land of the lost'
Hathern Station brick. Aerial photo from 1933
Another picture of new County bridge being built in 1932 or 1933
Marathon 1908. Won by Jack Screaton (shown with trophy in personal gallery)
Building new bridge 1932 or 1933 - on county boundary
River Soar scene with Doris Denis and friend. A favourite place for picnics in earlier days
St James Church Normanton and the River Soar from Hathern bank in 1890.
One of several images of the Soar by James Orrock who exhibited work at the Royal Academy. Recently the TV programme 'Fake or Fortune" revealed that he commissioned a number of forgeries of John Constable's works.
Normanton Ferry, another painting by James Orrock c.1890
James Orrick painting showing original canal bridge and in distance Zouch Mill
James Orrick painting. Soar at Normanton.
Normanton Ferry c.1912
Another view of the Hathern Brick Company's works at Tamworth.
In the foreground is the slide of the photographers plate camera.
County Bridge over the River Soar dividing Leics and Notts. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 30
The original which this replaced in 1793 was built in 1358 in the reign of Edward I. The lady is Mrs. Cooper of Stints farm. The present bridge (slightly north of this site) was built in 1931 and is due to be replaced
County Bridge on the River Soar. A favourite place for swimming as also was a place halfway between Hathern and Kegworth. Hathern Remembered page 8
Pony and trap on Zouch Road
Floods in 1943
Old footbridge over the weirs at Zouch. This was the route from Hathern to the brickyard and was also used as a link between towpaths for horses that pulled the boats
Old Zouch Weir
Next to Zouch weir in in the 'river field' around 1930. Popular picnic place for many years.
See article about the Grove family.
Current bridge at Zouch
Floods in fields c.1900
Zouch Road floods around 1936. From Hathern at War page 13
More floods on Zouch Road
Zouch Mills. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 29. The mill was in use from at least the C17th up to just after WW1, primarily for corn but also gypsum. Barges carried goods from the mill via the Midlands canal network
Zouch mill c.1900. First recorded as a mill for grinding corn in the Domesday Book. After a fire in 1863, the buildings became a plaster mill, reverting to grinding of corn in 1920s.
Floods on Zouch Road
Part of Garendon estate. Inside the estate walls next to the"Bavarian Arch"
Garendon Hall. Seat of the Phillips de Lisle family, Llords of the Manor since 1683. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 31
Site was previously Cistercian Abbey founded by Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester in 1133 and dissolved under Henry VII in 1536. The estate was bought in 183 by Sir Ambrose Phillipps, King's Serjeant to Charles II, and hs grandson Samuel Phillipps built the Palladian Hall in the 1740s. In the 1860s Edward W Pugin made considerable changes for Ambros March Phillipps De Lisle, inc. an upper story and a picture gallery. It was requisitioned by the army in 1943 and was finally demolished in 1964. The owners, the March Phillips De Lisle family now reside in Quenby Hall.
C18th century Classical style house with C19th century Gothic roof. Described by Nikolaus Pevsner as looking "really rather horrible".
Garendon tenants shoot in Oakley Wood 1902 or 1904. See article 'Garendon Park gamekeeper records'. From 'Gracedieu and Garendon revisited' by Marjorie Schulz
Harry Mitchell (Manager of Hathern Co-op), Jack Savage, boy in school cap, Fred. Wildes (Lobro' policeman), Herbert Savage, Mr. Wilmot (butler at Gracedieu Manor, standing high behind), Arthur Cotton (big beard), Tommy Hudson (with ferret and line), Henry Savage and Mt. Buckthorne (joint keepers from Oakley Wood Cottage, Charles Walker (Garendon gamekeeper) and Alfred Cotton (big beard)
Garendon tenants shoot in Oakley Wood early 1900s. See article 'Garendon Park gamekeeper records'. From 'Gracedieu and Garendon revisited' by Marjorie Schulz
Back row, all standing: Harry Swift, Arthur Cotton, Alfred Cotton, -, -, -, -, Chapman Adams (with vertical gun), -, Fred Gresley. Centre row (crouching) : Robert Bowley, -, -, -, Henry Savage. Front row, all sitting; George Pratt, Trevor Pratt, Fred Savage, Jack Savage, William Pears
Cottage next to Oakley Wood on right on road from Hathern to Shepshed. Once two houses occupied by gamekeepers