Wide Lane, Green to Church St.
Houses - Wide Lane to Green and Cross Street
Street views and houses, some now long gone
Looking down Wide Lane, from the A6 in the 1920s. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 10
To left of this area was Henson's wheelwrights. On right is land used by wheelwrights to heat up the iron bands before fitting onto newly-made wheels
Wheelwright's shop on Derby Road at top of Wide Lane
C17th timber-framed house in Wide Lane. A Walk round Hathern house 8
It is reported that when one of the old residents, a farmer, was ill in bed, they took his favourite horse up the very narrow stairs to see him
Up Wide Lane with the original 3 Crowns pub, the Police House next door and Stints Farm on the left. Old Hathern in Pictures page 22
Monks cottage, the timber-framed building far left is grade II listed and was built around 1670. This is building 9 in A Walk Round Hathern and was 2 cottages owned by the church until 1948
Similar view up Wide Lane. Postcard
3 Crowns, Wide Lane, before modernisation. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 10 Landlady Mrs. Sally Randon with Thomas "Starchy" Gamble
Another view of the house in Wide Lane, a C17th timber-framed building - there is a beam in the roof with date 1610 inscribed
Another picture of Wide Lane timber-framed house
Renovation of house in Wide lane following a fire in 1965 Next to the left hand cottage was a privy, and a former occupant recalls being exposed to full public gaze when one of the walls collapsed
Wide Lane, originally 2 cottages belonging to Hill House. Once surrounded by fields belonging to Hill house, these being accessed by a short track still to be seen at the side of the house
Stints farm. A walk round Hathern building 6
A grade II listed building probably C16th or C17th. Once a farm, this may at some time have been a temporary replacement for the dilapidated later rebuilt. In 2013 a missing parish register from the late C18th century was found in this house
1913 Green Hill and Wide Lane street scene from the Henton Collection no. 306
Wide Lane postcard
Timber-framed building in Wide Lane next to the Three Crowns. An interior beam has date 1610.Belonged to Samul Caldwell (b1801 d 1881)
Grade II listed property in Wide Lane. Shown in 1968. A Walk Round Hathern number 10
Previously 3 cottages. central section was built in the C17th. The 2 outer sections are brick-built additions. The cottage to the right contained a stockiner's shop
1913 Wide Lane street scene from the Henton Collection no. 305
Violet & William Hart with baby Averill outside their shop (now demolished) on the corner of Green Hill & Church St (Woodie's Corner) -note the cobbled pavement, the sign in the window reads "Sixpenny Cakes"
Looking down the Green from Cross Street. On the right towards the bottom you can see two buildings that are probably framework knitting workshops.
St. Aloyisius Roman Catholic Church on Green Hill. Old Hathern in Pictures page 25 and A Walk Round Hathern building 55. Note the demolition rubble from Granny Pink's cottage
It was built in about 1847 as a United Methodist Chapel and opened as a Catholic Church in 1908. Now a private house
What was John Brooks knitting and glove factory on The Stints later a plumber's workshop. Greenhill Rise c.1969. See article about glove-making..
Green Hill Rise showing workshop that was site of glove-making in the 1890s
Hathern's new Library in 1982
Part of The Green and Green Hill c.1925. Old Hathern In Pictures page 20. The lady on the road is "Granny" Kelham
The Three Crowns and Wide Lane c. 1910. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 11 and A Walk Round Hathern building 7
This is the original 2-story building replaced by the present public house with car park in the early 1940s.
Stints Farm in Wide Lane with Rectory behind
St. Aloysius Roman catholic Church, Easter Sunday, 1948. Further Pictures of Hathern page 28
The church has not been used for many years and as of now 2016) is being converted to a private dwelling
Greenhiill Farm. A Walk Round Hathern building 54. The Harris family were the last of only 4 owners, and they retired from farming in the 1960s.
Children at bottom of The Green. From postcard - not in booklets. This postcard was in use in 1904.
The Green, favourite play area for past generations. Hathern Remembered page 27 and Hathern at War page 9
From Edwardian dress, this seems to be from 1900-1910. Is the man on right with a barrow, a knife-sharpener ?
Harrimans framesmiths on the Green. From A Walk Round Hathern house 52. from Wigston Records DE3736/1509. Fence to right is Granny Kelham's house.In left background is farm on corner of Pasture Lane
This was started as a framesmith in the mid-C19th by John Harriman who was later joined by his son Henry and by 1881 they employed 6 men and 4 boys. In 1895, the business passed to Henry's nephew J Alex Swift who in 1919 moved to the Cross Street factory that survives today. During WW2 the building was used as a recreation facility for Italian prisoners of war
The Charity Rooms, situated between the Green and the path to the church. A Walk Round Hathern building 53
Built as a Sunday School by Rev. E.T.M. Phillipps in 1832. Since then, was used as a library and a function room. Now a private house
Violet Randon's busy little shop on the Green in the 1920s. A favourite spot for small children to spend their "Saturday penny". Old Hathern in Pictures page 32
Looking down Pasture Lane from the Green c.1907. From Old Hathern in Pictures page 19 and A look back at Hathern page 20
A favourite meeting place for children. Girl in foreground pushing pram is Lizzie Williams from Gladstone Street, with her sister May on the right and brother Billy in the pram. George Hatton's farmhouse is on right
The Green and entrance to Pasture Lane. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 20
he cottages and thatched farmhouse have been demolished. The workshop on the right was originally a stockiner's shop, and at various times has been a cobblers and an uphosterers.
Coloured postcard looking down Cross Street to Pasture Lane. Postcard sent 1929 and Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 20
Pasture Lane garage. A Walk Round Hathern building 50
Originally a barn this became a well-attended Temperance Hall in Victorian times. Its interior balcony was used by one of the 2 village brass bands for rehearsal around c.1900 and since the 1950s has been used by Clayton's (making concrete blocks) and as a garage (Rose and Wilmore, Frank Walker and until 2014 Jim Shearer)
Hathern Park, Pasture Lane, known more popularly as "The Reccy". A Walk Round Hathern (51)
In 1836, the Rev. E.T.M. Phillipps, furnished an area of glebe (church) land with "requisites for a playground" to be used by young men of the village, except on Sundays. It now belongs to the Borough of Loughborough. The cricket pavilion was erected in 1967
J Alex Swift Hosiery Factory, Cross Street. A Walk Round Hathern building 49. Middle part of building dates from C19th
For a while it was the Conservative Club but in 1919 it became a factory for J Alex Swift who had previously had a factory on the Green (previously Harriman's framesmiths). During WW2 it was occupied by Genatosan pharmaceuticals. The business is still run by 3rd and 4th generation descendants and specialises in socks made from luxury fibres such as mohair and alpaca
Alan Exon with an evacuee, Doris Wilson, in Gladstone Street, at the end of WW2. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 75. Two other refugees stopped with the Exon family and stayed on about 4 years after the end of the war
To the left, past the house where Alan lived, are the school buildings (including toilet block). The thatched cottage in the distance is now demolished
Looking up Cross Street towards old Post Office in distance. On right, first cottages were replaced by Hart's shop (now Cross St. Stores) with thatched cottage to its left. Note outdoor staircase
Between the Wars picture of shop that is now Cross Street Stores and Post Office. From David Spencer collection. More modern picture in A Walk Round Hathern building 48
Vina and Avril Hart outside shop of the parents Bill and Flo. The shop was built in 1916 and originally sold items as diverse as fish-and-chips and home-made ice-cream. Across the road is the house that was the previous location of the Post office
Cross and School Aug 15th 1986. A Walk Round Hathern building 47
Hathern C of E Primary School was built in 1850 with Master's house to the right on land donated by C.M.Phillipps. The Master's house is now a surgery. This building is now used for the top classes, younger children attend the other, newer, part of the School down Pasture Lane
Looking down Church Street past old Post Office to Dales Farm House. Only wall in foreground remains, still with post-box shaped hole
View up Church Street. Age of property is unknown but there was a house on this site ion the Enclosure Map of 1778. A Walk Round Hathern house 2
The deeds state that the driveway to the side of the house must be big enough to drive a carriage and horses through. In this picture the roof is half-thatched
Church Cottage May 1972 , timber-framed, one of oldest houses in Hathern. from records office. A Walk Round Hathern number 3
Occupied in the early C20th century by the Price's who ran a Stockiner's shop on the Green which is said to have made one dozen pairs of shot silk stockings for the future King George V
Church cottage at Churchyard Gate. From Records office Mud and wattle filling exposed during restoration in May 1972
Hathern rectory 1947. This photo appeared in a brochure of schools which included an advert for Mr. Doble's Hathern Tutorial College. See separate article "Emporer's grandson studies at Hathern" for full prospectus
Another rectory pic from about the same time
Rectory. a Grade II listed building. There has been a Rectory on this site from at least 1674, with rebuilds around 1708 and then 1820. From A Walk Round Hathern building 4
With the creation of a United Benefice in 1977, the house ceased to be used as a Rectory and is now a private house