A6, Golden Square and Garendon Avenue
Houses - A6, Golden Square and Garendon Avenue
From Hathern Turn to Garendon Lodge
Road widening after laying the Derwent water main at Turn Hill about 1908. Jack Goodacre in front, contracted horse, cart and man for 2/6d. per day. Old Hathern in Pictures page 8
Written on back of picture is 'Whatever happened to Lizzie ?' Traffic accident in early C20th at Hathern Turn
Looking north along Loughborough Road, with Leys houses in the middle distance on the right of picture is the row replaced by Kaiapoi Cottages in 1913, and behind that Charlie Moody's cottage.
Derby Road at Hathern Turn date unknown. The sign is pointing to Long Whatton and the House is College Garth.
The Burrowes family outside their wheelwright's workshop at the junction of Derby Road and Wide Lane
Current house (once Henson's shop and cafe) behind the old Jet garage still retains many of its original features
Burrowes Wheelwrights, see Old Hathern In Pictures page 43
Another view of Burrowes' Wheelwright's shop on the corner of Derby Road and Wide Lane. Old Hathern In Pictures page 42
The shop established in about 1870 belonged to John Burrowes, Note Derby Road before widening
The busy wheelwrights on the Derby Road. Old Hathern In Pictures page 43
Henson's garage and petrol station on Derby Road in the early 1920s before the hump was removed from Hathern Hill! see Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 2
Hill House on Derby Road at the top of Wide Lane, see A Walk Round Hathern, building 13
Built in the early C19th, the porch and bay windows added around 1901 were a present from his congregation to the occupant, the Rev. Hubert Foster, Baptist Minister, and his wife Lucy. Later the home of the Gamble family market garden and greengrocery business started by Herman in 1933, the horse-drawn cart carrying their produce was a familiar sight around the village and locally until 1967
The King's Arms, Hathern Turn in 1905, with a row of knitter's cottages where the Esso petrol station is now. A Walk Round Hathern, number 15 and Hathern Remembered, page 76
Originally a coaching inn on the London to Manchester route. A venue during the C18th and C19th for cock-fighting and a meeting place for fox hunters such as the Marquis of Hastings Hounds & the Quorn Hunt.
Seasonal Greetings from the King's Arms. It's famous licensee Mrs (Gladys) Mills, popular 1960s pianist, made several appearances on the Billy Cotton Bandshow- Note that it is signed by Eamon Andrews, compere of TV shows Whats My Line? and This is Your Li
College Garth on Derby Road near The King's Arms. A Walk Round Hathern, building 16
Dating back to the 1600s, (the left part is a modern extension) and owned by Christ's College, Cambridge, before being sold to the Whatton House estate, Once a poultry farm it's grounds are now home to Hathern Dog Rescue and other small businesses
The Willows opposite The Kings Arms, Hathern Turn. Old Hathern in Pictures page
This was the home of George King and family and was a smallholding for many years. This pretty landmark was demolished for road-widening.
The modern Willows opposite the Kings Arms. A Walk Round Hathern building 14. Owned for several years by the first woman Mayor of Loughborough, Miss Hilda Dormer.
Harriman House, no.1, Derby Road. Old Hathern in Pictures page 7 and A walk Round Hathern, house 17
Built in the 1880s for Henry Harriman, J.P, District Commissioner, who with his father John ran a framesmith's business on the Green. Henry who never married died in 1907, making generous provision in his will for the poor widows of Hathern. The house passed to his nephew J Alex Swift and is still in the family.
Harriman House at the junction of Derby, Loughborough and Shepshed Roads and Narrow Lane. Probably with the Swift sisters.
No.1, Loughborough Road at the bottom of Shepshed Hill, once the home of Mr. Ben Fuller next to his hosiery factory. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 6 (slightly different picture)
Boys in the middle of a once quiet Loughborough Road. in the 1900s. A Walk Round Hathern, building 18.
On the left a "kissing gate" accessed a footpath now Laurie's Lane leading to the High Meadow housing development built on the site of Dovecote Farm, the Groves' family farmhouse..
Loughborough Road, looking South in the 1900s. Old Hathern In Pictures page 6
This part of Loughborough Road was known in the village as "The Klondyke" after the late C19th Alaskan gold rush around the time the houses were built. The old Dewdrop Inn can be seen on the corner. Dates on houses are Fernleigh 1898, Holydene 1908, Gladstone House 1898, Baden Cottages ?, Woodbine Cottage 1898,Telegraph wires are dated 1876
Young Richard Benton in front of Hollydene built 1908 on Loughborough Road
Looking north on Loughborough Road, beyond Goodacre's petrol pump on the left is the old Dewdrop and Golden Square, on the right is Myrtle Cottages built 1907
Loughborough Road, the "Top Road", from it's junction with Wide Street. Note the shops on either side. Hathern Remembered page 102
The last houses at the Loughborough end of the village before 1913. Old Hathern in Pictures page 3.
Looking down Wide Street- through the gap behind the white houses on the "Round Bank" can be seen part of a row of houses that once stood behind Ernie Rossell's blacksmiths shop on what was Cumberlands Lane where Old Forge Close now stands
Loughborough Road about1898 from the top of Wide Street. Hathern Remembered page 102
Notice the infant Jubilee Tree on the right, the cyclists on both sides of the road at once, the children looking at the photographer, the chickens and evidence of horses!
"the Klondyke" on Loughborough Road, so named because it was developed at same time as the Klondyke Gold Rush in the late 1890s. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 3 and A Walk Round hathern 18
The A6 looking towards Loughborough in the 1920s. The Dewdrop is on the right
Houses on "the Klondyke" opposite the Dewdrop, about 1900
The Dewdrop Inn in the early C20th. Landlord Richard Benton with his family. A Walk Round Hathern, house 19
Landlord Richard Benton and patrons outside the Dewdrop pre-1914. Old Hathern in Pictures page 77
A Postcard of the Dewdrop Inn in the 1930s
Dewdrop Inn soon after WW1. Landlord Mr. Benton and family. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 5
Shown on this photo are the original 3 storeys - the top one being a meeting room. It is now 2 stories but the original 2 small bar rooms remain. Now called "The Dewdrop"
Houses opposite Dewdrop - Myrtle Cottages built 1907.
Golden Square between the Wars. Old Hathern in Pictures page 5. These houses were demolished in the late 1930s, and some residents were rehoused in the newly-built Garendon Avenue
In distance can see house(s) sticking out thatmake it a square - see 1884 map.
The Anchor Inn
The Anchor Inn
Anchor from Loughborough end, obtained March 2018
Anchor Inn From an Artist's Sketchbook No.411 one of several sketches of Hathern by Local artist A. Warbis. From the Loughborough Echo
Anchor Inn 1950s. Hathern at War page 109
Anchor Inn, on a traffic-free A6, about 1930. Old Hathern in Pictures page 35
The Anchor was an old coaching inn, and brewed its own ale on the premises up to the 1940s
Aerial view of Anchor with petrol station alongside. Hathern Remembered page 74 and Hathern at War 110. Malthouse to left of Anchor
Derby Road to Golden Square, obtained March 2018
3 Georgian houses, Loughborough Road, south of the Anchor Field where the Wakes were held. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 4
Shows Henry Simpkin who lived in middle house. The Widdowson and Spencer families lived either side in the 1930s. The house on the left was once the village Post Office
Looking towards Loughborough from top of Wide Street. From Francis Savage collection
The Grange, Derby Road. A Walk Round Hathern building 22
Has a vaulted cellar, the design of which suggests the house is at least 200 years old. Was used as Dr. Beattie's surgery in the 1950s
Moors Farm, Derby Road. A Walk Round Hathern building 23.Situated next to a passageway supposedly known as The Slips (editor's note...I have never heard it so called).
Farmed by tenants to the Garendon estate who supplied milk to the village in the C19th. The garden at the back of the farm was used to bury a herd of cattle destroyed in 1947 after an outbreak of bovine disease
Moors Farm on Loughborough Road. Vera Dakin, Mrs. Oxby, George Oxby
An article elsewhere on this site from the Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal of 1915 features Moors Farm and in particular its cheese-making.
Moors Farm, Loughborough Road
Moors Farm Loughborough Road. A different photo is in A Walk Round Hathern number 23
Once owned by the Garendon Estate and let to tenant farmers, It is now a children's nursery
Malster's Cottage, Loughborough Road. A Walk Round Hathern number 24
A C19th Century cottage once the property of Edward Ambrose Harley, brewer and maltster for the Anchor Inn.
In front of Spencer's bakery (just closed December 2016)
Kaiapoi Cottages on Loughborough Road, in front of the Spencer family bakery. Hathern Remembered page 45
Built by Eric Spencer's great-grandfather Charles Moody in 1913 after demolishing an earlier row of houses. Kaiapoi may be reference to a Joseph Keetley, born 1819 in Hathern who moved to Castle Donington and became a known ploughmaker, who died in Kaiapoi, New Zealand in 1875 (this is conjecture)
Cottages on Loughborough Road built around 1800. A Walk Round Hathern building 25
The archway suggest early use as a coaching establishment. from here, in the early 1900s, resident Agnes Disney ran a pony and trap service to Loughborough 2 or 3 times a week at the cost of one old penny
Another view of the 3 cottages thought to be built in 3 stages around 1800
Garendon Hall Lodge. Old Hathern in Pictures page 2 and A Walk Round Hathern building 26
On Loughborough Road, the entrance to the Garendon Estate. Designed by William Railton, designer of Nelson's Column. Coat of arms over porch is of the March Phillipps de Lisle family, who have owned the estate since the 1800s. The property was used as a dairy and smallholding by John Draycott and family, his first rent being 2/6d per week.
Garendon Lodge, Loughborough Road
Toll Gate House, Loughborough Road. Old Hathern In Pictures page 2. Another of William Railton's Lodges to Garendon Hall built for Charles March Phillipps in 1837 to 1847
Payment of tolls ceased in 1887. This was at bottom of Pear Tree Lane and was demolished in 1953