Nichol's History of Leicestershire
The part of Nichol's history (volume 3 part 1) that contains the East Goscote Hundred (of which Hathern is a part) was published at the start of the C19th. The history of Hathern (Avederne or Hawthorne) starts in the mid C12th century. By1565 there were 42 families in Hathern and this had only increased by 1 in 1775. The history describes the inclosure of 1777 and by 1793 the population had increased to 984 (in which year also a bridge was built over the river Soar). At the time of writing, the inhabitants were mostly framework knitters, a school is supported by the Garendon family and there is a Methodist meeting house. The church and font is described and the Rectors and Patrons and Benefactors listed. The monumental inscriptions in the church are listed. In 1801 there were 196 homes, 505 males and 451 females of whom 241 were in agriculture and 689 in industry. Biographies of Andre Glen, George Tomlinson and Richard Pulteney are included. A page of pictures shows the church, the font and the Cross (this latter maybe more imagined !).
You can read the whole extract here.